Saturday, July 18, 2009

07-18-2009

I've been slacking - with the blog and with Duece. Last week we tried something new with someone driving the suburban while Duece & I rode in the back seat. We put 30 miles on and Duece did great. I gave him a lot of attention and he would sit up and look around when we slowed to turn, etc. Other times he lay on the seat and almost fell asleep. Now a week later, I had to make a trip into town so I put the blanket on the seat and brought Duece along. He looked around at times and almost slept the rest of the time. I was worried about leaving him alone as that has brought on a bunch of panting and drooling, but today I left the suburban running with the radio on and he was just fine. Even when I had to retrieve a part from the rear of vehicle, he just sat up and then curled up on the seat when I went back inside the store. I did give him a small piece of teriyaki beef jerky a couple of times. When I was done with business and we were headed to another store, I offered him an Alpo Snap and he just turned away, probably knowing the beef jerky wasn't all gone. He got a piece of jerky. The next other store was an outside warehouse place so Duece was able to watch me walk around and only disappear for a short time. I didn't even try the Alpo Snap and went straight for the jerky when we left. He doesn't bother the bag laying on the floor but knows what's up when I pick up the bag.
We've done a couple cadaver scent hides during this time as well. I'm trying to be farther away from Duece when he finds it so he pays less attention to me. Tonight he actually had his nose a few inches from the container but he looked around and moved on instead of doing his sit indication. I just walked on and made a circle and this time he found it and sat like he is supposed to. I was a ways away and took my time getting there and he stayed until I got there. I did a bunch of praise before the treat as when he sees the treat coming he leaves and come to me instead of staying there. I try to get him to refind it for me but it isn't going real well right now. Little steps at a time. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment