Sunday, February 15, 2009

Addition to first post

Due to the extreme cold we've had, Duece did some searching in the basement. We have some scented tennis balls that I hide and then let Duece find them. I let Duece sniff the container so he knew what we were doing and he was on a leash tied up so he couldn't follow into where I was hiding the ball. I use one of those plastic arm things that is normally used to add distance to a thrown tennis ball so I don't have to touch it and leave my scent on it. The ball is stored in a way that it cannot come in contact with the scent material but only gathers the smells. Having Duece tied up in the other room helps build some anticipation on his part and he can barely wait for the search command when I'm unhooking his leash. He doesn't have much of a search pattern yet and skips around a lot but I'm just happy to have him know what to search for. We're still not using a treat and so far the lavish, boisterous praise seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment