Tuesday, May 12, 2009

05-12-2009

We haven't been doing our vehicle rides like we should be. I've been paying more attention to Duece and he seems to be a little anxious when we are together. It's like he can't relax and wants to be doing something. I was sitting on the couch playing with Ziva and when Duece saw us he had to come over and jump on my lap. When he did so he was panting and it was almost impossible to get him to relax and sit with me although I made him sit there for a little while.
I was gone all day and when I got home, Duece & I went outside for a little searching. The scent was in a flower pot and it was left for awhile and Duece got his blaze orange vest on to search in. When we went outside Duece checked out the ammo box we use to store the scent in and I forgot on the ground - away from the hidden scent. He moved on and check out the other containers and then indicated on the container. He was rewarded and praised and then we moved on. He circled around and I could see him working the scent cone downwind of the scent. The wind was SSE at 15 mph. It took a couple of circles with Duece looking up right at the scent but it was like he couldn't figure out what to do. I didn't want to step in too soon with the 'sit' followed with reward & praise. Pretty soon he sat for a second and then moved so we are making some progress. I took off Duece's vest and did a lot of praise up to the house and then inside. I went out and re-hid the scent and left it for a couple of minutes and moved the ammo can container.
Duece got his vest on again and we went back out. Duece ran over and checked out the places he last found the scent. I walk another direction and circle around to him after he shows interest. This hide was in another flower pot, even higher off the ground. Duece would show interest and then move downwind and find the edges of the scent cone and work his way back to the planter. It was fun to watch as he would look directly at the container and then move around. Finally after the about the third time he stopped and stared at the container he almost sat down so I went over and gave him a treat. We played a little "Show me" (where it is) and held his treat high so he had to jump up on the container and get lots of praise along with his treat. Then when we took the scent back to put it away I let Duece jump around and when I opened the container he sat at it for his indication and got another treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment