Monday, August 17, 2009

08-17-2009

Yesterday, I put out some scent and went back to the house. Duece watched me put some bologna into a ziplock bag and then we went outside. No vest and no command, just a walk that ended up downwind of the scent. Duece wasn't sure what to do when he found it. He lay down and rolled over, got up and walked a ways away and then went back. This time he looked at me and did his 'down' next to it. I gave him his bologna with a lot of praise. I'm wanting him to be aware of the scent even if he isn't in his vest although we'll use his vest most of the time.

Today I used a scented tennis ball inside a PVC pipe of the PVC garden with two more tennis balls in other PVC pipes for decoys. He was dressed up in his vest and he had watched me put bologna in a ziplock bag and he was given his command. He spent a bunch of time around Helen's car before he took off across the lawn after he saw the PVC garden. He checked out all the pipes and then rolled over by the wrong one. When I asked him what he was doing he got up and went to the right pipe and rolled over again and did his 'down' waiting for the bologna It's almost like he knows which one is the right one, he just want to play around. Maybe I need to play with him for awhile afterwards just to extend the positive aspect of him finding the scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment